Monday, August 27, 2012

Halloween fun


Hello my friends!  Golly, it's Monday again!  How did that happen so quickly?

Many of my teacher friends are heading back to work today to prepare their classrooms for the new school year that is just around the corner.  After quite a few years working in school libraries, I have to say that it still feels a little strange when school starts and I'm here at home instead of at school.  Being retired is a tough job! 

A glance out my stamp room window confirms that yes, summer is drawing to a close.  It is cool and cloudy and the wind has definitely picked up.  The clump of birches outside my window is hanging on to summer for dear life, though... sort of like me.  I don't see even one leaf that has begun to turn.  Hopefully that will take a few more weeks.  Soon enough,  I'll be down there in the yard, raking those leaves.  For now, I'll just enjoy the green and leafy view from my window.

I'm pretty sure you'd like it if I'd stop rambling and get to the card, so I'll do that shortly.  Before I do  that I'd like to give you my thoughts on Halloween.  Halloween, to me, is a fun time for little kids to dress up in costumes and go trick-or-treating.  It isn't an evil holiday unless we make it one.  Why do we have to complicate what should be a fun event for kids with all sorts of pronouncements about "devil worship," etc.?  Yes, I guess it would be devil worship if that was our intent--- if we said "Now I'm going to worship the devil."  Little children, in their innocence, do not do that.  To them it is just a fun time to dress up and get candy.  Can we just let them enjoy this candy-centric holiday?  I went trick-or-treating for years when I was growing up and I didn't become a devil-worshipper and neither did any of my friends.  OK... I'm climbing down off my soap box now.

So.... here's the card.  It is pretty cute, if I do say so myself. There's nothing scary about it--- no witches, skeletons, rats, spiders, toads, or other repulsive creatures--- just a cute little kitty!



I used a sketch from Freshly Made Sketches (it is sketch #47, if you'd like to go to www.freshlymadesketches.blogspot.com and check out their sketch).  I think my grandchildren would love to get a fun card like this at Halloween, especially if I mailed some candy along with it.  Here's a very quick list of what I used.

Stamps:Tricky Treats
Ink: Basic Black
Paper:  Very Vanilla, Basic Black, Howlstooth and Scaringbone DSP
Accessories:  Label Framelits, Houndstooth embossing folder, Tangerine Tango scallop dotted ribbon (turned over so the dots don't show), Buttons #5 Sizzlit, Linen Thread, Extra-Large Oval Punch, 1 3/8 inch square punch (for flagging the ends of the DSP strips).

We could make this fun Halloween card at your party!  Just give me a call and we'll find a date that works for both of us and then I'll help you and your friends create this purr-fect Halloween card!
Hope your week is off to a great start!  Thanks for visiting with me today and I'll look forward to seeing you back here on Wednesday.

Stamp something pretty today!
Susan

1 comment:

  1. A very cute card, Susan! I think your grandchildren would love this. And I totally agree with your view of Halloween - it is for the kids to have fun and I, for one, love handing out candy and seeing their costumes.

    ReplyDelete