Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Cards for Kids

Hello everyone!
Thanks for stopping by this summery Wednesday!

Have you ever noticed that I almost never post a masculine card or a card for children?  I guess I like to focus on cards I'd like to receive, completely forgetting that there are other types of people in this world who have birthdays--- like my soon-to-be three-year-old grandsons.  I just didn't have time to stamp while they were here, but yesterday I finally had a minute to sit down and stamp some birthday cards for them.  I hope that my daughter Amy will save the cards I make so that the children can enjoy them when they are older.  I'm pretty sure neither Luke nor Ben will be excited to receive their birthday cards this year.  Three-year-olds like things they can play with or eat.  Someday, though, when I'm long gone, I hope they'll look at the cards I made for Halloween, Valentine's Day, and their birthdays and remember how their Oma loved to make cards.   We don't think of paper as being terribly durable, and yet it lasts surprisingly well.  I still have a Christmas card that I received from my grandma when I was about 10 years old.  It is designed to hang from the Christmas tree by a loop of thread.  I've had it for approximately 55 years and thought it is a bit bent in places, it still looks pretty good. In fact, I think it has fewer wrinkles than I do!  I enjoy reading my grandma's handwriting and reflecting on those long-ago Christmases. 

So for those of you who have children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, or children next door, I encourage you to make some "kid cards."  They are fun to make and you might enjoy the chance to experiment with some new stamp sets.  Here are the cards I sent to Luke and Ben.  They are really into trucks and construction equipment, so the set I Dig You (in the big catalog on page 69) was perfect for their cards this year



The sentiment is "Happy Dirtday" and the inside greeting is "I Dig You!"  The new Chevron embossing folder was perfect for adding tire tracks to the background panel.  The card stock colors are Whisper White, Real Red, and Midnight Muse.  I used Daffodil Delight ink for the vehicles and stamped the greetings in Midnight Muse.  The number three is from the new Memorable Moments set
(page 139 of the big catalog).  I hope you feel inspired to make some cards for children.  There are many fun stamps to choose from in the "Growing Up" section of the big catalog, which starts on page 59.  You'll find everything from baby stamps to footballs and from princess stamps to camping sets.  There's lots of variety to suit the interests of all ages. 

Today John and I are celebrating our 42nd wedding anniversary, so we're headed off to Cannon Beach.  We haven't gone to the beach in 3 or 4 years, so I think it's time.  Enjoy your day and don't forget to come back on Friday for another visit!

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment