Friday, September 6, 2013

Feeling Grateful...


Happy Friday, Stampers!

I'm excited for the weekend ahead, as I'm going to be getting together with some of my fun customers for my "Trick or Treat, Fun and Sweet" class on Saturday at 1 o'clock at my house.  There's still room for you if you'd like to attend!  You'll enjoy cute projects,  yummy Halloween-y treats, and some creative time just for you!

I'm happy to say that I've finished designing the projects for my "Fall in Love With Stamping" event that will take place on the first day of fall, Sunday September 22nd at 1:30 at my house.  At this class, you'll make a journal, plus 4 beautiful cards in the gorgeous shades of autumn.  Today I'm going to show you the journal that you can create.  However, this is just one option.  We'll talk about the other options later, but first let's take a look...



This is a simple composition book which has been covered with DSP and stamped with fall leaves
(Magnificent Maple, page 18 of the Holiday catalog).  The acorn is from the Truly Grateful stamp set (page 19 of the Holiday catalog).  The title is from the Truly Grateful set as well.. The colors I used are Cajun Craze, Crushed Curry, and Early Espresso.  I used the label collection framelits to create the title.
As you can see, the title on this journal is Thankful for...  This is what is known as a gratitude journal.  You might be wondering why you'd want to bother keeping a gratitude journal.  Well, let me fill you in.

Dr. Robert A. Emmons, a University of California, Davis professor conducted eight years of intensive research on gratitude and found that people who view life as a gift and consciously acquire an "attitude of gratitude" will experience multiple advantages, as outlined in his best-selling book, Thanks!  How the New Science of Gratitude Can Make you Happier.

When you practice gratitude, you become more optimistic.  That, in turn, makes you healthier and happier, boosting you personal and professional life. He found that grateful people felt 25% happier, more optimistic, and more confident.  Here are four ways to increase your gratitude quota:

1.  Keep a gratitude journal.  At the end of the day, write down three to five things from the day for which you feel grateful.  Even the most negative situation has a positive somewhere.

2. Express your gratitude.  Never pass up an opportunity to say "thank you."

3.  Look for what is right about a situation, not what's wrong.

4.  Practice gratitude with your family and friends.  Encourage each family member to report one thing that happened that day for which they feel grateful.

{The above information was taken from an article by Irene Ross titled "A Consistent Gratitude Practice Makes You Happier and Healthier" on the Wellness Today web site, February 19, 2013.}

Just in case I haven't convinced you, here are some other ways you could use a book like this.  It could be an inspiration journal where you stash pictures cut from magazines and catalogs that show great color combinations for cards.  I find the best color combinations in clothing and home catalogs.  Pillows, bedspreads, lamps, dishes... all can serve as great taking-off points for cards.  You can turn your book into a "Recipes to Try" book, where you corral all of those recipes that you rip out of magazines and newspapers.
Your book could become a place to jot your "To-Do" Lists.   You'll never misplace your list (written on the back of a piece of junk mail) again.  And if you date your lists, I guarantee that you'll enjoy looking back over them in a couple of years.  I've got several other options for you as well.

I didn't mean to write a book today, so I think it's time to wind this up!  In the next few posts I'll show you some of the cards we'll be making at the "Fall in Love with Stamping" event.  Hope you'll join me!
 Have a great weekend and I hope you'll find some time to stamp something pretty!
Hugs,
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment