Monday, September 9, 2013

Can You Can?

Hello there stampin' peeps!

Wow... it's Monday again already!  I don't know where last week went.   I guess that's what happens when you're "retired" and also very busy.  The days just become a blur sometimes.  Maybe I need to get a full-time job again so I can rest from being retired!

Once again, it's canning season, which begins mid-summer and goes for a few more weeks as people can their tomatoes, make tomato sauce and salsa, can pickles, and all that good stuff.  My mom and my aunts were big canners, but I never caught the canning bug, probably because it's just so easy to go to the store.  But I do remember how delicious home-made pickles can be, not to mention jams and jellies.  Even if you aren't one of those caught up in canning fever, a cute canning jar can make a great gift container.  Check this out...


Isn't this just the cutest?  I received this from Birgit Schreiber, one of the talented stampers in our local group of demonstrators.  We meet once a month for dinner, swapping, and exchanging business and stamping ideas.  This was her swap for the evening.  I'll give you a quick list of the products she used in a minute, but first let's talk about what could go in a jar like this besides the obvious jam, jelly, etc.    I don't know if you're a fan of Pinterest, but there are canning jars all over that site.  You can package all sorts of gifts in a jar, from
home-made spice rubs for BBQ,  to baking mixes (Brownies in a Jar), to soup mixes, to candies of all kinds.  A Halloween themed jar with candy corn would be fun, or you could fill a Christmas jar with peppermints, mini candy canes, or other Christmas candy.  An interesting loose tea blend or a special variety of coffee beans would also make a nice jar-filler, but the contents don't have to be edible.  I've seen jars of rolled-up ribbon, buttons, and other crafting supplies. The possibilities are endless!

Let's talk about what Birgit used on her fun jar...
 
The "yum" tag was stamped with the Friendship Preserves set (page 117 of the annual catalog) in Midnight Muse.  It was cut with the Window Frames Framelits (page 186) and then adhered to a mat of Midnight Muse cut with a Window Framelit one size larger.  The lid of the jar is wrapped with a band of Polka Dot Parade DSP in Real Red.  The little oval labels on the top of the lid are stamped with sayings from the Creatively Yours stamp set (page 26 of the annual catalog).  One tag says "made just for you," one says
"deliciously made for you," and the third one says "from the kitchen of..."   The ribbon is the beautiful stitched satin in Midnight Muse (page 173 of the annual catalog).  The "yum" tag is tied on with some Cherry Cobbler baker's twine.  I hope I've inspired you to check your cupboards for some jars that you can decorate and fill with something yummy for a friend.

Thanks for stopping by this sunny summery Monday!  Let's not forget that it is still officially summer, and will be until Sept. 21st.  I give you official permission to keep wearing your capris and sandals.  I won't be surrendering to the fall/winter wardrobe until I'm forced into it by cold and rain!  Don't forget to come back on Wednesday for more stamping ideas.
Hugs,
Susan





No comments:

Post a Comment