Thursday, July 26, 2012

Christmas in July???

Hello stamping friends!

Welcome back to The Classic Card!
I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak.  Since I've been home from the Stampin'Up! convention, I've been running from one activity to the next.  Things will start to slow down in about a week and I'll be happy to take a deep breath.  But for now, I'm a crazy person.  I don't usually post on a Thursday, but since yesterday's post was so quick I decided to write you a note again today.

I'm having trouble with the fact that July is mostly over.  Where did it go?  I guess it slipped by while I was stamping and assembling my swaps for convention.  I have to admit, though, that I'm looking forward to August 1st  when we can start ordering from the new Holiday mini-catalog.  And it really isn't too early to plan those Christmas cards.  In fact, many demonstrators hold a "Christmas in July" event just to get their customers started on holiday projects.  If you like to wow your friends and relatives with a hand-made card each year, you might want to save this date--- Saturday, Sept. 8th, for my annual Jingle Bell Jump,  to get a jump-start on your holiday cards.  The kiddos will have gone back to school and summer activities will be winding down, so it will be a good time to begin to think about the up-coming holiday season.  For now, please write the date on your calendar and I will follow up with an e-vite in August.

So I guess you've figured out by now that I'll be showing you a Christmas card today.  This is one I made for a special Holiday Mini-catalog swap I'm participating in next Wednesday, August 1st.  We each had to pick a stamp set to use for our cards, so that we wouldn't all be using the same stamp set.
When I saw the Owl Occasions set, I knew I had to have that cute little guy.  Check out my card---



Let me tell you about the colors and supplies I used.  The DSP is called Be of Good Cheer and can be found on page 164 of the annual catalog.  The colors are Cherry Cobbler, Gumball Green, and Very Vanilla.  I stamped Mr. Owl in Soft Suede, the branch in Early Espresso, and used Gumball Green and Cherry Cobbler markers to color directly on the holly stamp.  I ran the Gumball Green base through the Big Shot with the Perfect Polka Dots embossing folder to echo the dots on the DSP. I used the Labels Collection framelits to cut the Very Vanilla focal panel and its matching Cherry Cobbler mat.  I love the new stitched satin ribbon and used a bit of it in Gumball Green to finish off the card.  The sentiment comes with the stamp set and I punched it out with the Modern Label punch.
Oh, and I used two tiny pearls for the owl's eyes, just to give him a bit more dimension.   So now you've seen how this cute owl can be used for Halloween and Christmas, but that's not all.  Check out the complete stamp set on page 13 of the Holiday Mini-catalog.  You can also use him for birthday cards and gift tags as there's a balloon, "to- from," some gifts, a party hat, and a "party" banner included. 

Thanks for stopping by today.  Please come visit again tomorrow for my regular Friday post.  Let's try to wring out the maximum amount of summer from the remaining days of July.  I would recommend barbecues with friends, ice cream, watermelon, farmer's markets, berry picking, and reading in the shade of a leafy tree.  Stamping under a shady tree might be good too!
See you tomorrow!
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment