Monday, March 10, 2014

Old, but trendy...

Hello stampers and a happy Monday to all!

Yes, I know I'm old and I also know I'm not trendy, so today's title is not about me (or you, although you're probably a lot trendier than I am).  I'm talking about something that's very familiar to people my age...but has suddenly undergone a surge in popularity.  I'm talking about chalkboards.  They've been everywhere the past few years. Chalkboard paint has made it possible for almost any surface to become a writing surface so you see chalkboards in kitchens, in restaurants, in playrooms and bedrooms... just about anywhere in a home.  Chalkboard labels for storage jars make it easy to create a set of custom canisters for any ingredients you can imagine. Check Pinterest and you'll find hundreds of chalkboards.  And of course the chalkboard look has invaded the world of paper-crafting as well.  In fact, the chalkboard technique is nothing new in the world of stamping.  I can't believe I haven't tried it before now.  See, I told you I wasn't trendy!  So this past weekend, I tried the technique and I love how easy it is to achieve the look of a chalkboard sign.

Please take a look at my first effort and then I'll tell you how I made it.



I have to admit that when I was in elementary school, the chalkboards were green, not black. Green chalkboards were the latest innovation... I suppose they were supposed to be easier on the eyes.  But the old-fashioned chalkboards were definitely black.  You'll need a saying or some words... chalk board art is usually a sign, a quote, or some type of saying.  For my card I picked the From My Heart stamp set (page 99 of the annual catalog).  I stamped with Whisper White Craft Ink (page 165 of the annual catalog) and then dried the ink with my heat gun.  I stamped the scallops from Tea Party at the top and bottom of the black panel and dried those as well.  Then, using a white pencil I drew a border around the edge of the card and added some little flourishes of my own.  I wrapped the panel with some linen thread and added a Very Vintage designer button.  I adhered the black panel to a slightly larger panel of Modern Medley Designer Paper ( page 154 of the annual catalog).  The card base is made from Crumb Cake card stock, which repeats the tan of the linen thread. Last, I rubbed an Embossing Buddy (page 167 of the annual catalog) over the black panel to give it a nice chalk-dusty look.  I love how my first effort turned out and I can't wait to try the chalkboard technique again soon!

I hope your week is off to a happy start.  Hold on for just a few more days and then the weatherman says we'll have several days of sunshine.  I hope he won't change the forecast like he often does.  We need a little sunshine to bring on the blossoms on the trees.  Our rain-weary spirits could use a little lift as well... agree??
Thanks for stopping by today and I'll hope to see you back here on Wednesday for more stamping inspiration.
Be happy!
Susan


1 comment: