Friday, August 9, 2013

A Bike for Your Birthday

Hi stampers and happy Friday!

If you are a worker bee, you are most definitely a happy one since today is the end of your work week and the beginning of a sunny summer weekend.  What are your plans for your days off?  I hope you'll  try to squeeze in a little time for some creative stamping fun!

Today's card takes me back to the year I turned 7.  In my family, 7 was the magic number... the year you got your two-wheeler!  I can still remember that birthday and how excited I was to have a two-tone green bicycle. Of course it had the fat white-wall tires... so cool!   I've got a photo of me with my new bicycle and it looks like I'm way too short for such a big bike.  But I rode it just fine and without a helmet, too.  Of course there were some skinned knees along the way, but I was a kid with perpetual scabs on both knees anyway, so it was no big deal.  No little bikes with training wheels coddled us along.  We got the real deal when we turned 7 and our dad helped us a little until we got over the wobblies, and then we were off riding through the neighborhood!  Such freedom!  Saturdays were a mad scramble to see how quickly we could get our chores done so we could ride off to a friend's house to escape any further jobs our mom might dream up.  Those were the days!

OK... enough reminiscing.... it's time to show you the card



I knew I wanted to use this fun new stamp set, called Cycle Celebration (page 10 of the annual catalog) and it was a no-brainer to use the coordinating DSP called Birthday Basics (page 153).  Choosing the colors was pretty easy too, as I just selected colors that are in the designer paper. Lucky for us that Stampin'Up!'s color-coordinated products make creating a great card so simple!  What stumped me was the layout for the card.  Have you ever had a creative block where you just can't come up with a pleasing layout for a card?  Usually that doesn't happen to me, but when it happened today, I knew just what to do.  I went to a sketch challenge blog.  These types of blogs give a card sketch, or layout, and then challenge their readers to create a card using that sketch.  So today I turned to one of my favorite sketch challenge blogs, Mojo Monday (www.mojomonday.blogspot.com).  I picked this week's sketch (# 305) and turned it on its side to accomodate the bicycle image.

Here's a quick list of the other supplies I used in creating this fun birthday card:

Soft Sky, Whisper White, Crisp Cantaloupe, and Raspberry Ripple card stock
Raspberry Ripple ink
Raspberry Ripple Stitched Satin Ribbon
Tiny flower punch from the Itty Bitty Shapes Punch Pack (page 180)
Candy dots for the center of the flower in Wild Wasabi (page 171)
Perfect Polka Dots embossing folder (page 191)

Thanks for stopping by to read my post.  I'm wishing you a happy weekend full of summer fun... camping, walking along the beach, or maybe even riding your two-wheeler and pretending you're seven years old again!
Enjoy!
Susan


No comments:

Post a Comment