Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Very Vintage

Welcome to Wednesday at The Classic Card!

How is your week going?  Smoothly I hope!  Things have been a bit crazy and stressful around here as we've been helping our daughter and son-in-law prepare for their move to California.  We finished packing the house yesterday and today is truck-loading day.  On Thursday, they'll be off to new adventures in Davis, California. We are sad to see them go, of course, but happy that they are finally able to make the move they've been wanting to make for a long time.

Are you a fan of the vintage look?  Although I favor the clean and simple look when it comes to card-making, I have to admit that there is an element of elegance to the antique-y, vintage cards that are so popular right now.  The Sale-a-bration set called "Feeling Sentimental" features three images that definitely fall into the vintage category and I thought I'd try making a card with a vintage feel to it.  Please take a look and tell me if you think I succeeded in capturing the vintage look and feel...



Here's a quick list of the products I used to make this card:

Stamps:  Feeling Sentimental (free Sale-a-bration set)
Ink:  Crumb Cake, Early Espresso
Paper:  Very Vanilla, Crumb Cake, First Edition Specialty paper (page 162, Annual catalog)
Accessories:  Lacy Brocade Embossing Folder, Label Framelit, Decorative Label punch, 5/8"Flower Trim (page 5 of the Spring catalog), Very Vanilla Seam Binding, Stampin' Sponge, Dimensionals.

I don't know why, but this isn't a very flattering photo of this card.   I need to take a photography class, but when would I have time to do that?  I think one of the keys to making a good vintage card is to sponge, sponge, sponge.  Sponging gives a nice time-worn appearance to a card, without making it look like it was sent through the wringer.  I just can't get excited by a card that is wrinkled and torn in an effort to make it look old.  Let's let mangled cards be the specialty of the US Postal Service.  They seem to be very good at that sort of thing.

If you'd like to make this pretty card, join us this Saturday at 10:30 at my house.  I'm sure Stephanie would be delighted to have an extra stamper or two at her party.  Thanks for stopping by today and don't forget to come back on Friday for another classic card.
Hugs,
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment