Monday, November 12, 2012

For Our Troops

Hello Stampers and happy Monday!

I hope your weekend was more relaxing than mine!  Oh, yes, I had a lot of fun stamping with some very nice ladies on Saturday and Sunday, but now that Monday is here, I feel like I'd like to stay in my jammies all day and read.  However, I'm not going to be doing that!  I'm well aware that the official Veteran's Day was yesterday, but today is the day that I'm doing my "For Our Troops" event at my local Curves (in Sherwood, Oregon).  If our troops regularly put their lives on the line for us, I think the least we can do is to get up, dress up, and show up to do something for them. 

So today, from 9 am to noon, I will be at Curves in Sherwood, helping the generous and loving ladies there make cards for our troops.  We have three different cards we'll be making and I'm sorry to say that you'll have to wait until Wednesday to see them, as I left my display board at Curves in hopes that more people will join us when they see these fun cards.  One is a birthday card, one is a "love you" card and the third one is a "miss you" card.  These are the three most-requested types of cards.

Here's how it works.  After we create the cards, we'll package them up (along with an envelope) in a clear cello bag and we'll send them to an organization called From Our Hearts.  The Stampin'Up! demonstrators who run it have military contacts in Afghanistan and Iraq and they send the cards to the Chaplains of various units.  Then when a soldier wants to send a card home to his wife, son, daughter, mom, dad, etc., he or she can look through the cards and pick one to send.  This is a great morale booster, knowing that a loved-one will be receiving a hand-stamped card. 

If you have any cards you'd like to contribute to the troops, please bring them the next time you come to one of my classes, events, or parties.  I'd be happy to send them on to From Our Hearts.

I know I cannot get away with a post that doesn't show a card... that would be just so, so WRONG!  I hope this card will provide a little inspiration to get you going on a rainy Monday---


 

With Thanksgiving right around the corner, my time to show you leafy fall cards is limited.  So in the next few days, I'll be finishing up with fall and we'll move into more holiday cards.  Believe it or not, this is another swap card I received on the Hilton Head trip.  Let me give you some info on the products used to create it.  First and foremost, the name of the demonstrator who made this pretty card is Janice Urke.  She didn't print a "recipe" on the back, so I'll do my best to list the products.
Stamp Sets:
                  Gently Falling
                  Itty Bitty Banners
Ink:  More Mustard, Soft Suede, Cajun Craze
Paper:  Very Vanilla, Soft Suede, Cajun Craze, and More Mustard card stock
Extras:  Comfort Cafe Designer Paper, Scallop Border punch, Bitty Banners Framelit Dies, Argyle Embossing Folder, Very Vanilla Taffeta Ribbon, Regals Brads, Dimensionals

I must run now, stampers, but before I do I want to remind you to come back on Wednesday for more classic cards.  Thanks for visiting me today!
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment