Friday, October 19, 2012

Brown is Beautiful!

Hello Stampers and happy Friday!

The day that all working people look forward to is finally here.... yay for Fridays!  I remember how happy I was to see Fridays arrive, back in the days when I was working at a job with defined hours.    The only thing I looked forward to more than a Friday was a Friday that was also a pay day.  Now that I'm supposedly retired, I find that I can work more hours here at home than I ever have in my life!

I'm excited for my first ever Stampin'Up! Bunco Night tonight.  I've got some nice prizes wrapped up and some lucky stampers will be winning hostess dollars to spend.  Doesn't that sound like fun?  If Bunco Night is a big success, I will repeat it once during Sale-a-bration, which starts mid-January.

As many of you know, I'm a big fan of the color brown.  "Brown is the new black" they say and I have to admit that it is my favorite neutral at the moment.  I love the way it looks with almost any color you can name... Pink Pirouette, Bashful Blue, and So Saffron look amazing with it, as does Cherry Cobbler, Lucky Limeaid, Old Olive, Tangerine Tango, and on and on.  In fact, I'm hard-pressed to think of a color that doesn't look great with my favorite brown... Early Espresso.  It adds a touch of sophistication wherever it goes and this card shows that perfectly.




This fabulous card was stamped by fellow demo Cheryl Brown, using the "believe" sentiment from the Snowflake Soiree stamp set (page 5 of the Holiday catalog).  The Designer Series Paper she used is found in the Festival of Prints Designer Series Paper Stack that is at the top of page 20 in the Holiday catalog.  This thick pad of 4 1/2 by 6 1/2 paper is the perfect size for cards and there are so many pretty prints to choose from!  At only $6.95, I can't think of a better way to get a great assortment of prints for card-making! 

Cheryl paired the richness of Early Espresso with the refreshing blue of Baja Breeze, which yields a beautiful, if unconventional, color scheme for a holiday card.  There's no reason I can think of why Christmas cards have to feature either red or green or both.  Oh, I know.... the holly and the ivy and all that Northern European lore that so much of Christmas is built upon.   Sometimes it's nice to go for the unexpected--- shake things up a bit, get out of the rut. 

I love the way she "quilted" the whole card front by sending it through the Big Shot with the Square Lattice Embossing Folder.  It gives such great texture and a real quilted look.  The golden snowflake in the center of the card was cut from Champagne Glitter paper ( page 18 of the Holiday catalog) with the new Snow Flurry Bigz Die on page 14 of the Holiday catalog.  Thanks, Cheryl, for a great card!

Well, my friends, I'm off to set up the tables for the fun cards we'll be making tonight, right after we eat some hot and cheesy pizza!  After the cards are done, it'll be time to "roll 'em" (as in dice, not the cards, silly!)    Have a wonderful weekend everyone and please come back on Monday for more stamping inspiration.

Susan


No comments:

Post a Comment