Friday, April 27, 2012

A Classic Combination

Hello stamping friends!

It's finally Friday and I'm gearing up for a big event this weekend... my Stamp-a-Stack.  I've got 18 stampers coming over in two different sessions to stamp 8 cards each.  Let's do the math... that's 144 cards that will be made here on Saturday!  Not to worry... the card stock is all cut, the ribbon is ready to go, and this evening I'll be making some yummy snacks for you! 

For the next several weeks, I'm going to be showing you some retiring stamp sets that I have loved, in hopes that you will love them too.  Today's card combines brown and blue... a classic color combination.  There are so many shades of brown and blue that look great together... Crumb Cake and Night of Navy, Early Espresso and Bashful Blue, Soft Suede and Baja Breeze... I could go on and on.  (Speaking of blue, we haven't seen that color in the sky lately!  I think we need to see some very soon!)

My card for you today combines two of my favorite Stampin'Up! colors... Early Espresso, the best brown of all time and the lovely Pool Party.  So grab your cup of coffee and meet me by the pool.




This card was one we made a while back at one of my technique classes.    The stamp set shown here is called Upsy Daisy and can be seen on page 116 of the big catalog.  It is one of the "oldies" that's only available in wood, but it is definitely a "goodie."  The technique is called Striped Wipe.  First let me give you the supply list, then I'll tell you how to create the background.

Stamps:
Upsy Daisy-- retiring
Happiest Birthday Wishes-- this is a hostess set, so it is also retiring, as all hostess sets will be gone.
Note:  There is still time to receive some of this year's wonderful hostess sets absolutely free when you host a stamping party before the end of May.  Send me a quick email and we'll reserve a date for your party!

Ink:
Early Espresso pad
Pool Party refill
So Saffron refill
Certainly Celery refill

Paper: 
Very Vanilla
Early Espresso
Pool Party
Glossy White Card Stock

Accessories:
Petals-a-Plenty embossing folder for the Big Shot
Scallop Circle Punch
1 3/8 inch Circle Punch

OK, now that you have all the ingredients, let me tell you how to cook up this pretty card.
Tools you'll need: 
Baby Wipes
stiff cardboard
Clips or clothespins (I use binder clips... those metal clips that hold multiple pages together)
scrap paper

First, cut the glossy card stock to the size you need.  Put a small piece of double stick tape on the back of it and attach it to the scrap paper, as you don't want it to move while you're working on it.

Next, take a couple of baby wipes and fold them in half.  Attach them to the stiff cardboard so that they are covering the edge of the cardboard.  Using the ink refills, apply a stripe of each color along the edge of the baby wipe.

Pull the baby wipe over the glossy card stock to create the striped background.  You can go over the glossy card stock more than once to make the color darker.  Just be sure te re-align your stripes each time.  You can create all sorts of effects this way... an ocean scene (Crumb Cake for the sand, Baja Blue for the water) a sunset ( Tangerine Tango at the bottom, then maybe a little So Saffron, fading up to Pink Pirouette).  Experiment with this... it is easy and fun! Then when I was finished with the striped background, I just inked up my Upsy Daisy stamp and stamped over it in Early Espresso.

Well, stamping friends, I must go and tackle my list... it's a pretty long one today.  Enjoy your Friday and I'll see you back here at The Classic Card on Monday.

Happy Weekend!
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment