Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Masterboard cards... play along with me!

Hello stampers!

So glad you came back today, because I have a little challenge for you and I'm hoping you'll want to play along.  I know I've done a class or two like this, but I've never featured a class on my blog until now.  If you follow along each day, you'll end up with six great cards.

The first step in this process is to find a color combination that you like.  You'll need at least three to four colors that coordinate well.  You can choose pastel colors from the Subtles color family, or you can choose some brighter, warmer colors like I did from the Brights and Regals color families.  I wanted a "hot" color palette, so I chose Real Red, Tangerine Tango, Crushed Curry, and Daffodil Delight.  You can't get a much hotter color combo than that!

The second step is to choose a stamp set with bold images, where there are large areas of solid color, instead of "coloring book" stamp sets with images that are outlines to be filled in with markers or ink. The set I chose is the Simple Stems set on page 33 of the Occasions catalog.  An example of a "coloring book" stamp set can be found on the facing page, page 32 (the So Very Grateful set).

Now that you've chosen your colors and stamps, it is time to get busy.  You'll need one sheet of white or vanilla card stock.  When you are trying for a randomly stamped look, it is best to start in the upper left and work diagonally across the paper, from upper left to lower right.  Start with the largest image, then the next largest in a different color, then the third largest in a third color.  Here is what my sheet of paper looked like after I stamped my three images on it.


The last step in creating your masterboard is to fill in all of the white spaces between the images.  I decided to use the daisy-like image in the Simple Stems set.  I didn't want it to compete with the stronger colors I had already stamped, so I chose Daffodil Delight, a lighter yellow than the Crushed Curry that I had already used.  This is how my paper looked after I filled in all the white space.  Don't worry if some of the images overlap.  That is OK.



Notice how almost all of the white space is now covered.

OK, I'll take a break here and let you pick your colors, your stamp set, and then stamp your 8.5 by 11 inch sheet of card stock.  When I come back on Friday, I'll start showing you the six cards you can make from this one sheet of card stock.  I think you're going to be amazed!

Please come back on Friday for the continuation of this blog-based class!
Happy stamping!
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment