Friday, April 25, 2014

Inspiration is everywhere!


Welcome back to The Classic Card!
I don't know about you, but I'm happy it is Friday!  I'm always ready for the weekend, even though I'm retired!  I just wish the weather report was a little more encouraging, (insert big sigh here!).  I would love to sit out in the back yard or on the porch in the sun with a good book, but any reading I do this weekend will have to be done indoors, I'm afraid.

Are you excited that we are moving on from the online class of the last couple of weeks?  Did anyone follow along?  Send me a quick email (sjrstamps@gmail.com) with an attached photo of your masterboard cards and I'll put your name into a drawing for some fun SU merchandise!

Last night at our demonstrator meeting, the challenge for our swap card was to find an 'inspiration piece" and then use it to create a card.  Some of the inspiration pieces that people found to base their card on were:
a flowered umbrella, a paint advertisement, a Ritz Cracker ad, a Talbot ad, and some art that was in the Grandin Road catalog.  If you've never seen the Grandin Road catalog, I encourage you to check it out.  I usually find more than one item that inspires a card idea in this home-furnishings catalog.  There are all sorts of pillows, rugs, and art pieces that are easy to turn into a card.

Here's a photo of the art that inspired my card



and here's the card



The colors I chose are a little more vivid than the colors in the artwork, but I wanted a brighter look.
I used some post-it paper to mask off my card stock, then I used sponge daubers to apply Soft Sky ink to the top of the paper.  For the ocean, I used Bermuda Bay ink.  The wheat stalks (from the Wetlands stamp set) are stamped in Baked Brown Sugar... such a warm brown!  The sentiment is also from the Wetland set (so happy this set is not going away!).  For texture, I used the Square Lattice embossing folder, one of my very favorites that is, unhappily, being retired.  If you don't already own this fabulous folder, order it before it's too late, as it is only available "while supplies last," and who knows how long that will be???

As you are out and about this weekend, look around for card-making inspiration.  You might see a pretty print blouse, a leather belt with silver trim, a rug, or towel, or pillow that could be an inspiration piece for a great card. If the rain keeps you indoors, page through some catalogs or magazines looking for color combinations and objects that inspire you.  Once you start looking, you'll find card-making inspiration everywhere!

Happy Friday and happy weekending everyone!
Reminder... Friday is the last day for FREE SHIPPING from Stampin'Up!  Your order needs to be finalized before 10:59 pm, our time, as Stampin'Up! is located in the Mountain Time Zone that is one hour ahead of us!
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment