Monday, December 3, 2012

Ahoy, Matey!

Hello Stamping friends and happy Monday!

The weeks are just rolling by, aren't they?  I can hardly believe that we're into December.  It seems like just a few days ago that we were enjoying warm September days.  I hate how time seems to keep speeding up.  It means I'm getting older faster and faster.  Ugh!  Not a good thing!

I hope you had a chance to go to my Facebook page (TheClassicCard) and answer the question that I posted and while you're there "like" my page by hitting the "like" button.  If you'll do that, I will enter your name into my drawing for a free stamp set.  Who wouldn't like free stamps???  I will draw the winner at the end of the day, so you have until 5pm tomorrow to comment on my post.

If you attended my last SOS (Stamp Out Stress) meeting on November 26th, you've already made this card.  My apologies to the stampers who attended, as I'm sure they'd like to see a brand new card today.  But since 99% of you haven't seen this card, I thought I'd show it to you.  It's the one type of card I usually have trouble making... a "guy card," sometimes known as a "manly" card.

There are several things that one should NEVER EVER put on a card for a man!  First of all, I'll mention ribbon.  You can use twine, linen thread, wire, or other wrap that looks like it came from the hardware store, but never even think of using any kind of ribbon, even if it is dark brown or black.  Ribbon is so not manly!  Another thing you should never add to a manly card is pearls or rhinestones.  I know there's a song about a rhinestone cowboy, but seriously,  just avoid them like the plague.  Stampin'Up! has a cute guy set on page 27 of the annual catalog called Best Dad Ever, that has a row of neckties as one of the images.  You might be tempted to add a rhinestone as a tie tack, but resist the temptation !  Your guy will not appreciate a rhinestone!  Other things to avoid are the colors Pretty in Pink, Pink Pirouette, Rose Red, Melon Mambo, or anything that is remotely related to pink (I'm sure there's someone out there that thinks you can get away with pink on a Valentine for a guy, but that is not true).  Valentines for guys should be red and black or Cherry Cobbler and Early Espresso... that's it... only those two combinations.  Anything else will look girly.  OK, enough rambling.  Here is the card...


  Here are a few more hints for manly cards: Use a plain font for your sentiment.  Guys don't like curly, swirly anything on their cards, including the font.  DSP should be bold and graphic (like the stripes used here).  Plaids and geometrics are also good, but avoid any small cutesy prints... especially anything that would remind them of flowers.  Fussy coloring is also best avoided.  Just stamp the image in a bold dark color and be done with it.  Guys likely won't even notice your coloring skills, let alone appreciate them.  I used linen thread on this card, but note that it is simply wrapped around.  If you must, tie a knot around it, but never, never, never a bow.  Some sponging ups the rustic and manly look you're going for.  I guess one of the best things about making a manly card is that they are pretty simple and quick to put together... no fussing required!
 
Here's a listing of what we used to make this card:
 
Stamp sets:  The Open Sea, Teeny Tiny Wishes
Paper:  Early Espresso, Very Vanilla, Festival of Prints Designer Paper Stack (in Holiday catalog)
Ink:  Early Espresso
Accessories:  Linen Thread, Extra Large Oval Punch, Word Window Punch, Modern Label Punch.
Don't forget, the Holiday catalog expires on January 2nd, so if you want to get that great Festival of Prints DSP stack (#126904, 6.95), better get it now before it is gone for good!
 
Well friends, we're off to wrestle with a fir today.  I'm sure we'll be using some manly twine to tie it to the top of the car and you can be sure that it will be secured with some knots, not bows. 
Happy stamping!
Susan
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment