Thursday, September 8, 2011

Keeping it Simple

Hello Stampers!
    Today I want to talk about simplicity. Doesn't everything today just seem more complex than ever?  Our technology speeds up our lives, we tend to get caught up in too many activities, and our days can start to go by in a blur without us even noticing.  In cardmaking, as in life, sometimes things just get to be too much.
I'm sure you know what I'm talking about if you look at Splitcoast Stampers or other stamping sites.  The cards just seem to get more and more embellished with all sorts of  ribbons, buttons, pins, beads, wire, embossing, and of course the trend of layer upon layer of cardstock.  Sometimes these creations remind me of a woman with too much makeup. Sometimes more is not better. 

So for today, I pulled the plug and took cardmaking back to its most basic form--- stamping on cardstock.    There are no layers, no ribbons, buttons, or other embellishments. There's no texturing and no punches either. The stamping IS the embellishment.  While I promise I won't continue with one-layer cards (you might find that awfully boring after a few days), every once in a while I'll throw one in just to remind us that sometimes simple is good too.
Take a look!



This ultra-simple note card uses my "go to" stamp set for fall... Gently Falling.  I have used the "rock and roll" technique to ink the stamps.  First, ink the stamp with the lighter color (in this case, More Mustard), then roll the edges of the inked stamp on the darker color (here I've used Cajun Craze and Old Olive).  After rolling the edges, stamp on your project.  The acorns were colored with markers (Soft Suede and Old Olive). 
You can see in the left-hand corner that I decorated the envelope as well.  It's always fun to give an envelope a bit of decoration and it is fun to hint at what's inside. The "Thank You" is from a great new set in the big catalog called Perfectly Penned, which you can find on page 154.

Here's the list of what I used to make this note card:

107311 Note Cards and Envelopes, 5.95 for 20
123804 Gently Falling stamp set, 28.95 in clear-mount
122892 Perfectly Penned stamp set, 12.95 in clear-mount

Stamp Pads, 5.95 each
103162 More Mustard
102277 Old Olive
119671 Cajun Craze
119670 Early Espresso (used for "Thank You")

Markers for coloring acorns, 3.50 each
100079 Old Olive
120973 Soft Suede

So that's it for today stampers!  I hope you are inspired to go stamp something simple.  Thanks for stopping by and I'll look forward to seeing you tomorrow!

Keep it simple!
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment