Friday, May 4, 2012

Making "Manly" Cards

Hello stampers!  How did it get to be Friday already?  I'm happy, though, because that means that it's almost the weekend... everyone's favorite part of the week!  And some better weather is supposed to be headed our way... hurray for that!  We all need a break!

Yesterday I promised you a Father's Day card for today.  Really, this card could be for any occasion with just a simple change in the sentiment.  Do you have as much trouble coming up with a "guy" card as I do?  When it comes to creating a card for a man, I just don't feel that creative.  Then when I look at my supply of stamp sets, it suddenly becomes apparent that 80% of what I have purchased are floral sets or sets that are definitely feminine.  Ooops!  I need to remind myself that men make up half the population when I sit down to order stamps. 

The card I'm showing you today features the stamp set Nature Walk, which I consider a gender-neutral set.  I love sets like this because with a simple color change, you can make your card either feminine or masculine.  Check out my card---



To make this a card for any occasion, just change the sentiment and you're ready to roll.  Here are some things to add a masculine touch to any card:
Color--- go for neutrals like Crumb Cake, Early Espresso, Basic Black, and Soft Suede or River Rock.  Then if you want more color, add in classics like Night of Navy, Cherry Cobbler, Cajun Craze, More Mustard.  Think of the colors you find in more traditional men's neckties.  Yes, I know you can find ties in pink and lime green, but I'm thinking of traditional ties, not trendy ties. Sponging can also add more color and give more definition to the elements on your card. 
Texture---go for chunky textures like this embossed houndstooth pattern.  Add linen thread, hemp twine, baker's twine or other rough-textured fibers.  You can also tear the edge of your card stock to give a roughed-up look to your card.  Tearing the edge adds just a bit more texture. (Notice I didn't use a torn edge on this card...wish I had thought of that though!)
Here's a quick list of what I used:
Stamps:
Nature Walk
Family Reunion (for the sentiment)

Ink:  Early Espresso

Paper:
Mocha Morning Designer Paper (retiring)
Early Espresso
Crumb Cake
Very Vanilla

Accessories:
Large Oval Punch
Extra-Large Oval Punch
Houndstooth Embossing Folder for the Big Shot
Sponge
Linen Thread
Dimensionals

Oh, I forgot to mention that this card is not the traditional 5 1/2 by 4 1/4 card that is usually made.  This one measures 5 1/4 by 3 1/2 and easily slides into the Small Open-End Envelopes sold on page 182 of the big catalog.  This envelope has the flap at one end, instead of going across the middle.  I love making cards that are a different size... guess I'm just very easily bored.

Hope you'll all enjoy a good day today and a wonderful weekend too, whatever you've got planned.
If you are coming to my retirement party and bingo tomorrow, I can almost guarantee that you'll go home with a fun prize!  Thanks for stopping by!
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment