Monday, December 5, 2011

BRRR! It's Cold Out There!

Hello Stampers and welcome back to The Classic Card!

It's a frosty morning in Sherwood and no doubt everywhere else around the great Pacific Northwest.  But the sun is shining and I'm a happy camper!  I checked the temperature on my front porch and the thermometer reads 21 degrees.  I'm sure Mr. Sun will be warming things up soon.  Meanwhile I have a frosty card for you, made by another member of my talented downline.  Today's card is by Mary Colvin, who likes to surprise our group of demonstrators with different techniques on her swap cards.  I received this great card at one of our recent Stamp2gethers, where demos gather for dinner, stamping, and swapping cards. (It is great fun to be a Stampin'Up! demonstrator!  If it sounds fun to you, I'd love to take you out for coffee and discuss the benefits and enjoyment of being a demonstrator).

Here's the card...



Isn't it beautiful? Here's what Mary used to create this card:

Stamps:  Season of Friendship ( p. 102), Hand-Penned Holidays (p. 15, Holiday Mini-catalog)
Ink:  Cherry Cobbler
        Crumb Cake
        Whisper White Craft ink ( for the snow and snowflakes)
Paper:  Cherry Cobbler
            Crumb Cake
White Signo Gel Pen, p. 203 (for the snow on the branches)

To create the snow at the bottom of the card, mask with a torn piece of paper, then sponge on the Whisper White Craft Ink.  Don't forget that craft ink doesn't dry immediately the way regular dye-based ink does, so you'll need to use your heat gun to set the white ink. To soften the look of the card, Mary sponged on some Soft Suede.

This would be a perfectly mailable card, as there are no baubles, ribbon knots, or other embellishments to give the Postal Service grief.  I often wonder what some of my cards look like when they arrive at their destinations.  I hope the recipient is not faced with a ripped envelope, a loose pearl, or a mangled card, but I have a feeling that it might be the case, based on some sad-looking cards I've received. 

OK stampers, that's it for today!  I've got a lot on my plate today, as I'm sure we all do.  I will miss seeing you here at the ol' blog tomorrow, as it is my day to take care of my granddaughter.  But I'll be back Wednesday with another classic card.  Meanwhile, put on a sweater, some sweatpants, a hoodie, mittens, a hat... whatever it takes to stay warm!

Cozy stamping!
Susan



No comments:

Post a Comment